Friday, August 29, 2008

Why Can't My Office Be Normal?

I guess it's a silly question to ask. I mean, nobody's office is "normal," but mine just does really odd things. Repeatedly. Here's an example, this one has to do with the food obsession of the group at large. For some reason, any time there's a cause for a lunch meeting, happy hour, or group dinner, the only options that are on the table are: Sushi, Vietnamese food, Chinese food, Japanese food, seafood, Thai food or Korean food. That's it. Now, first you have to understand one thing: a majority of the staff here is Vietnamese. So, I can see how they are drawn toward certain types of food, of course, just as I am to food I've grown up with. But seriously, it's going a little bit too far.

Now you have to understand my food liking as well- my taste palette is pretty simple, I like mostly American cuisine, Italian and Mexican, those are my staples. I love a good steak, I enjoy salty french fries, and I could eat tacos almost every day. I haven't grown up eating too many other foods outside of my staples, so I know it's difficult to plan a dinner out with me. I get it. And I've tried some of the foods people want me to, but when it comes down to it, I have no desire to eat raw fish, clams, oysters, even shrimp. I just can't/won't do it. I don't get how people always want to "break me free" from my food habits- get over it people, it's not going to happen!

Sorry, I digressed there a bit on a pet peeve of mine...but, back to the office. So the latest happy hour has been planned at a place called Tuna Town of all things, for happy hour. Who goes to a place called Tuna Town for happy hour? What ever happened to good ol' chips and guacamole with a margarita? Am I missing something here?

I have a dilemma- I've already said no to several of the happy hour proposals...but I think one more excuse may be popping out of my calendar...I'll keep you posted!

No comments: