Friday, October 2, 2009
Those are words you never want to hear after you just supposedly upset someone. So, here's what went down- It's the birthday of an assistant in a department we work closely with, and my boss forgot. So she asked me to round up some goodies for her in our company store. Much easier said than done, being that the card selection was narrowed down to "You look marvelous," "Bon voyage" and "Happy Birthday, Mom." I went with "You look marvelous," thank goodness it was a younger woman. Anyways, I found some random goodies and made it look presentable, then circulated the card for everyone in my department to sign. Well, I left someone off, completely by mistake. Her office is around the corner, and I always forget the days she's in or out (she's a contractor). So then, we all assemble to go surprise the birthday girl with her gift and card. Once again, I didn't think to include 'round the corner woman.
So we do our big "Surprise!" to birthday girl, and said woman slowly peeks out of her office and looks hurt. Shoot, I knew right then this would all come back to me. Sigh...I quickly apologized and said I forgot she was in today, so sorry, got the card for her to sign quickly - tried to make it all better, but it was too late. She didn't say anything as I left the room.
So then I mentioned the series of events to my co-worker, who said, you should apologize again, she's someone you don't want to be on the bad side of. GREAT! Just what I need, an enemy. Lovely. So, I took her advice, and sent an e-mail apology. I got a :) response, but no words. Guess I should be happy I got that.
Would that upset you to be left out like that, or do you think she is just too sensitive?
So we do our big "Surprise!" to birthday girl, and said woman slowly peeks out of her office and looks hurt. Shoot, I knew right then this would all come back to me. Sigh...I quickly apologized and said I forgot she was in today, so sorry, got the card for her to sign quickly - tried to make it all better, but it was too late. She didn't say anything as I left the room.
So then I mentioned the series of events to my co-worker, who said, you should apologize again, she's someone you don't want to be on the bad side of. GREAT! Just what I need, an enemy. Lovely. So, I took her advice, and sent an e-mail apology. I got a :) response, but no words. Guess I should be happy I got that.
Would that upset you to be left out like that, or do you think she is just too sensitive?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment