Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Excuse Game

Every office has one. The person who manages to make up the lamest excuses for why they couldn't come in to work. Of course, we've all done it--faked an illness or fabricated an elaborate scheme to get out of work. But one employee here takes the cake--yup, you guessed it, the One Upper.

So already this week, she's been out Monday, half-day Wednesday and another half-day today. Monday she was out because of her "engagement" (why do you need a day off two days after you get engaged? I must have missed that somewhere) and then yesterday, she had to pick up her boyfriend, oh excuse me her FIANCE's mother from the airport. Supposedly she couldn't come back to the office after that because the mother had POISON OAK! Now, I don't know how on earth someone with poison oak boards an airplane, but somehow, this woman did (according to One Upper). Then, today, she arrives into work at 10am, complaining from the moment she sits down about her eye hurting. Supposedly something got in it, and she could barely drive in, in fact, she said, she shouldn't have driven in at all, if a police officer had seen her, she would have been given a ticket (riiiiiight!). So she complains relentlessly to her boss, who finally says, go to your optometrist! She says, but you know that if I do, I won't be back in, because they'll have to treat me. He sighs, and says, I know, I know, just go! With that, she was out the door by 12:30, still haven't seen her since.

As annoying as that is, I have to say, my cube corner is much more enjoyable without her complaining/gossiping/one-upping every few minutes! Hmmm...I wonder what excuse she'll use tomorrow?

No comments: