Wednesday, May 26, 2010

As the Office Turns (into Babyland)

Today I decided to try out a new "office", and this office has been invaded by the other types of people that invade coffeeshops in the middle of the day - new mothers. Apparently it's mommy meetup time, and as a result, the table behind me is packed with strollers, diaper bags, and women talking about boobs more than I think is appropriate in public.

My observations:

* How come all women (at least the ones behind me) adopt this weird high-pitched, lispy voice when talking to babies? Is it because people actually think that babies will understand you better despite not being able to talk if you talk in a weird voice vs. in normal voice?

* They all call their babies everything under the sun EXCEPT by their actual names.  I guess things just don't sound as cute if you're like "Oh, Bob, looks like you need a diaper change."  Here are some of my favorite monikers overheard so far:

shnoo cookie (i.e. "Are you a shnoo cookie?! Are you my schnoo cookie? Mwua, mwua, mwua"
pookins (i.e. "Uh-oh pookins, is your bottom wet?  Did you go pee pee?")
chi chi (i.e. "Is that my little chi chi?  Oooh yous is so cute lil' chi chi.  I loves you so much!")

* Strollers are the new purse - these women have everything under the sun stuffed into the small pocket area under the stroller.  It's like Mary Poppins' magic bag - things just keep coming out - including a full-on DOG.  I wouldn't be too surprised at this point if one of them pulled out a couch or something.

Who's to say I won't be exactly like that one day when I have a kid, but man, from the outside looking in, it is a totally bizzare new world to me!

1 comment:

MsG said...

haha! i want to see you talk to your baby in normal voice. It's hard.