Friday, February 19, 2010

It's a Coffeeshop World

Today I am working from my new "office", a.k.a the Coffee Shop.  This new office has got to be one of the most entertaining places ever.  Not in the crazy-psychotic-makes-me-want-to-walk-out-on-the-spot way I'm used to, but in a more sit back and laugh kind of way.  There are three things I've realized from working out of these caffeine selling offices:
1) There are A LOT of people that "work from home".  What do they all do?  Can they all really be making a living this way?
2) People are very picky about what chairs they get at this "office".  I've been asked to swap chairs at least 2 times already.
3) The crazies are everywhere (speaking of "the crazies", is that not just the single worst and best title for a movie ever?)

So this morning, there was a normal looking girl sitting at a table with her laptop.  I ask if I can share the outlet she's using.  She merely sighs, glares up at me and gestures wildly towards the outlet.  Ohhh-kay.  About a half hour later she starts talking out loud.  Everyone looks at her assuming she's on the phone or a bluetooth.  Nope, just talking to herself.  Then all of a sudden, she starts cursing at herself, frantically pushes back her chair, grabs everything in one swoop of her arms and runs out.  Everyone continues to stare at her as she runs down the street.

About an hour later, the office is full again.  There are clearly people here that work here on such a regular basis that they are now friends of some sort, recognizing each other day after day.  One girl is here writing on her blog about candy and fashion (!).  Another is here making phone calls all day.  They chat more than they work.  Then, as abruptly as she left, Weird Girl from earlier is back.  Rushing in all her frantic glory.  She walks straight up to candy blogging girl and her "office" friend and is so excited to see them.  She decides to share the table with them.  Then she gets up to order her coffee.  The minute she leaves the two office buddies start gossiping about how weird that girl is and why does she have to talk to them and god, just look at her now.  My first reaction is to think wow, what mean cruel people.

Then I look over to where Weird Girl is standing.  Ok, I get it now.  She came in dressed in pants and a sweater. Now her sweater and the shirt underneath it have been rolled up to just under her breasts so she is now wearing a Britney-esque midriff baring outfit.  Except she's no Britney and there's A LOT of midriff.  The entire "office" is gawking at her.  Then she turns and walks back.  I notice that the top button of her pants is also unbuttoned.  With the sweater thing, I thought maybe she's really hot from all the running around, but the unbuttoned pants offers no logical explanation.

Weird Girl makes a huge production of getting herself situated - moving from one side of the table to the other, constantly bending over so we all have a few of her pale belly.  Now she's finally seated and it's so painfully obvious she wants to be candy/fashion girl's new BFF.

 "Oh I love your boots where'd you get them?"  
"I can't remember."

 Silence abounds.

"What are you writing about?  I wish I were a writer."
"Oh your earrings are so clever and pretty - you have great style."  
"Thanks."


Everyone within earshot is cringing.  Then in a fit of inspiration or craziness, Weird Girl decides perhaps she's cold now, rolls down her sweater, puts on a purple beanie, and applies bright red lipstick.  She's now a work of art!  I can't stop laughing.  The all probably think I'm the crazy one, but it's worth it :)


You don't have to visualize this, I did you one better.  Hopefully this isn't illegal, but faces are blurry enough I guess.  And notice how EVERYONE is staring.  Happy Friday! 


1 comment:

MsG said...

crack me up! they're like illegals